Research shows that educated, under 40 customers are much more likely than other customers to use online resources during the insurance buying lifecycle, yet there is a huge gap between what they need and what they find online. Many are frustrated that they cannot complete the purchase transaction online and delay or drop out of the purchasing process entirely. Acceptiv meets the needs of these customers allowing them to quote, apply and pay for coverage in a fully digital environment.
Since it's very difficult for customers to complete the entire purchase transaction online the percentage of total sales made online are very low. We believe that there is a large group of customers who want to do everything online and will complete the purchase today if given the opportunity to complete the transaction online. Experts agree that this type of do it yourself customer will continue to grow in the future. Our technology is designed to help you reach the growing do it yourself customer today, so you can grow your new business tomorrow.
With a proven, sophisticated system that:
By using reflexive questioning, our system automatically applies ratings where appropriate. An automated decision is typically made on over 75% of cases, the remaining 25% can be handled according to your chosen acquisition strategy (soft decline or manual underwriting).
Our experience in Canada and Europe with automated underwriting shows claim experience is consistent with traditionally underwritten business.
It used to be. But:
Customers happily self-educate to gain economy, autonomy, and instant fulfillment
Old products were designed for old distribution system; modern products are designed with today’s consumer and e-commerce in mind.
The middle market doesn’t think so – they’re staying away from traditional distribution methods and products in droves.
You can. What we offer is:
Proven solution: The same great system that is behind Beagle Street and other European insurers, adapted to the North American market.
Integration: Complete, integrated solution that covers the entire online customer journey, not just the automated underwriting.
Support: Product, marketing and business support, full go-to-market services.
Branding: Brand to your colors, logo, and policy design.
Speed, ease, and safety: Move to online fulfillment in months, not years.
Predictive analytics to keep you ahead of the competition.